Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Fun Time for Baby and Me

Being a stay at home mom really motivates one to come up with fun ways to interact with the baby.
What better way to keep a baby engaged than showing them new things and playing new games that are fun for them and occasionally we can sneak in some learning too!

I've spent endless time on the net (Pinterest mostly, those guys absolutely rock!) finding things to do and then many a time trying to find alternatives to items mentioned, so I can source the activity materials locally. All the times I've not done things because I didn't have some basic building block. Sigh. Times have changed now, and its so easy to find things even at the corner kirana wallah. So yayy!

With every activity we do, other than getting brownie points from my little one for being so full of fun activities(shhh let me enjoy that before she truly understands the power of Pinterest :D) , I realise we more or less end up turning the wheel again. Many a thing were what my mom and grandma played with me when I was young. And so, the joy is two-fold - there's a sense of nostalgia and there's a feeling of doing something extremely this generation based.

So, here's kickstarting my Fun Time for Baby and Me Series with something from the past. My grandparents stayed in a small town by the Godavari and summer holidays meant frolicking in the waters, building smooth stone collections and using the riverside clay for building matchbox lorries! The wheels used to turn too!

What we used:
Soap Boxes
Play Doh / (alternate)Bubble Blower Lids
Sticks from Paraka / (alternate)mini barbeque sticks / (alternate) toothpicks
(Make sure you break off the pointy edges)
Glue



Here you can see my little one use it to transport vehicles. She turned it into pretend play beyond my limited "Lets make a lorry".
So, no real clay no worries, use play doh clay. Have only 3 boxes, its alright to have a futuristic car and no place for the driver's box :))
And once you are done, let your child's imagination take over - what can we move from one forest to another, how can an elephant outrun a tiger and a cheetah without getting tired and what not!







1 comment: